Getting Started to code

Hello Openastronomy team, meanwhile in October, I was looking for codebase of Openastronomy members and comeup with few doubts

1. Can we contribute to any of the 16 organizations which are part of Openastronomy?
  2. The features providing astropy, sunpy, etc. how can we access them and do improvements?
  3. I have a project idea, but need mentorship to well design and tackle some flaws, how can I do this?
    Also, is there any tutorials available t get started and learn Openastronomy projects in depth?

Hello @ombhojane,

Welcome to OpenAstronomy!

1. Can we contribute to any of the 16 organizations which are part of Openastronomy?

Yes, as OpenAstronomy is an umbrella organization, you can contribute to any organization under the umbrella.

1. The features providing astropy, sunpy, etc. how can we access them and do improvements?

If you want to focus on a specific package, I would suggest joining that packages public communication channel and seeing if they have a newcomers guide. For example, astropy have a public slack and guide here: How to make a code contribution — Astropy v6.1.dev108+gaa142496

1. I have a project idea, but need mentorship to well design and tackle some flaws, how can I do this?

If you have a project idea, you will need to work out which project it will most likely fit with and reach out to them. They can then work with you on a project proposal that will be advertised during the next GSoC period.

Also, is there any tutorials available t get started and learn Openastronomy projects in depth?

There is no overall tutorial for OpenAstronomy, it would be better to go to each project and check their documentation for tutorials or guides if you want to learn how to use each project.

Cheers,
Nabil

2 Likes