Sunpy: Fido Client Connector Certificate Error

Hello,

I have been working with the SDO’s AIA and HMI images and want to download the associated FITS files with Fido.

While downloading the HMI images was no problem, I have been getting a ClientConnectorCertificateError when attempting to do the same with AIA images.

If anybody knows a solution to this issue, I would be very thankful.

Best,
Ansel

Code:
result = Fido.search(a.Time(‘2021-01-01 09:00:00’, ‘2021-01-01 16:00:00’), a.Instrument.aia, a.Wavelength(1700*u.AA), a.Sample(1 *u.hour))

downloaded_files = Fido.fetch(result, path=’~/desktop/test/{file}’)

Error message of one image:
url=‘https://sdo7.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/drms_export.cgi?series=aia__lev1;compress=rice;record=1700_1388588466-1388588466’,

exception=ClientConnectorCertificateError(ConnectionKey(host=‘sdo7.nascom.nasa.gov’, port=443, is_ssl=True, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=8913719493882984843),

SSLCertVerificationError(1, ‘[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:997)’)))]

Hi Ansel,

Thanks for the post, it looks like a server issue on the VSO side, so I have forwarded this to the VSO team, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the quick response!
I will contact the VSO team in case it is not.

Ansel

Hi Ansel,

What date and time did you see the certificate error when searching for AIA data?
Did you eventually get the AIA data downloaded that you were looking for?

What version of Python & SunPy are you using?

The certificate verify error you saw has been fixed in all the gateway machines that I know of that SunPy queries are processed through. I will look through the log files for your query to determine which gateway your query was processed through to see if a gateway was missed.

Thanks,

–Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks for the response.

I am using Python 3.10.2 and Sunpy 3.1.6.

I went through a small series of test for January 1. of all years since 2015 as well as some random dates in between. My search queries always looked like this:

result = Fido.search(a.Time(date + ’ 14:00:00’, date + ’ 16:00:00’),
a.Instrument.aia,
a.Sample(1*u.hour))

downloaded_images = Fido.fetch(result,
path=‘path/to/files/{file}’)

Downloading AIA images still hasn’t worked.

I hope this helps out.

Best,
Ansel

I can’t offer much help but doing the search and fetch from the first post, I can download the files with no error.

I am using sunpy 3.1.6.

Interesting. I still can’t download them. I’ll try reinstalling SunPy.